Myths about causation (what causes scoliosis?)
- It is not a postural problem.
- You do not get scoliosis from a soft mattress.
- The carrying of heavy school bags neither causes a curve nor makes an existing one worse.
- You do not get scoliosis from watching too much television and eating too much junk food.
- Scoliosis is not contagious – you cannot catch it from someone who has a curvature.
- Having scoliosis does not mean that you will not be able to have children or will have trouble with a normal birth.
African myths about scoliosis
- Scoliosis is not a curse!
- Scoliosis patients are not potential candidates for money rituals. The hump on their back does not signify some amount of mercury that can enhance the productivity of money rituals.